Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Extraordinary People

There are people who you love... people that you have known your whole entire life... or maybe THEIR whole entire life... and you never really know the depth of their love for you until you experience a loss and they become your hero.

My sister is beautiful. She was the youngest and spoiled rotten. Gorgeous little blonde curls and blue eyes and so mischievous as a child. She got away with anything and could just grin her troubles away. I remember her first day of Kindergarten.. I was in the fourth grade and my teacher let me leave just a few minutes early every day so that I could make sure that she made it on the school bus. She only weighed 35 pounds and you could miss her if you weren't looking. The bus ride home everyday was long and by the time it stopped in front of my grandmothers house she was dead asleep. I had to carry her off of the bus and down the long drive to Nanny's house. Of course when we got into the house, there was cake and milk for a snack and she was wide awake!

We shared a room for as long as I lived at home. I was so much older than her but she was so funny. Watching her grow up has been an adventure. A couple of years ago Kristy became pregnant and I lived with her throughout the pregnancy because her husband was back and forth to Ireland and she needed help. Frito chili pies from Sonic at midnight, Capri Suns, pudding packs and A LOT of Debbie Snacks helped her through her pregnancy. I would often wonder how this little sister of mine would be as a mom. Really? Kristy as a mother? She was carefree and rock n roll and can name every hair band from the 80s and 90s! We proceeded to decorate the nursery in rock guitar music theme.. her shower invitation was a backstage pass concert ticket, everyone came dressed in rock attire. Surely this little boy they were about to call Logan was going to be warped.

I was totally wrong about my sister. Logan was born and she is a natural mother. She is funny and kind and smart and just does everything right. I was also right about Logan. He is warped. He is hilarious and loving and walks around decked out in cool clothes with his little blonde mohawk sticking up three inches high. He makes monkey sounds at the top of his lungs and kisses you when he does something he isn't supposed to. He stakes out your bowl of ice cream and doesn't leave your side until it is gone.Logan now has a sidekick in his brother, Jensen, who is going to be the sweetest of the two I think...

My sister did everything for me these past couple of weeks. She kept Bryan's kids, she made their lunches, found them daycare, answered questions that I couldn't. She still made time to be at the hospital non stop and she made funeral arrangements for my Zoe Jane. She went out and found the most perfect doll dress and bloomers for Zoe to be laid to rest in. It was the most beautiful dress I have ever seen and it fit her perfectly. She made a headband with feathers for her to wear, she bought her a cross necklace with diamonds and a memory box full of things that were uniquely ZOE JANE. Beyond all of this she was there. She loves me. And she became not only my hero but the best aunt in the world to my baby girl.

Below are the words that Kristy spoke at Zoe's Service

Friday Afternoon I had the privilege of holding my niece Zoe Jane and although she was just a tiny little thing she was so beautiful. She definitely has her father Bryan's height. She would have been great at sports. Her little hands and feet were so tiny and perfect and her lips....well, she got those from her Mom and Aunt Kristy. Even though Zoe was already gone I could see her personality. She was gonna be talented for sure. And so beautiful and I am sure slightly hard headed. She had the sweetest side, so loving and caring like her mom. She was gonna be the type of person who would have done anything for you. The type that would have made mud pies with flowers on top for every person she could name off, including every pet.

You could also see the direction side of her too. But considering how hard her parents work at their business...how could she not inherit that part? I could picture her spending summers working in the cafe at about age five pointing out all the customers tea glasses that were getting low to the wait staff. I know this is just the side of Zoe that I saw in the short half hour I got to hold her. I am sure that Bryan and Jennifer could probably write a book filled with details of what they saw in her. What I do know is that on Thursday God looked down and saw something amazing and He said "Zoe Jane, you are too beautiful and too special for this earth and I can't wait another minute without you here beside me." So He reached out and took Zoe in His arms and at that moment Zoe arrived in heaven.

It's great knowing now that we have our own personal angel and I know that every time we rethink an action, or spend a few more seconds at a stop sign that Zoe is overseeing things and looking out for us. Bryan and Jen, I know your heart is breaking because mine is and I'm just the aunt. But I know Zoe is happy and probably bossing everyone around and directing all the tea parties for everyone. I know she loves you so much and I know it will take some time but she doesn't want to see you sad because she is so happy and she has millions of people who love her so much between earth and heaven and she has so many people to play with. Daddy Zeke and Papa are there to spoil her rotten. Jen and Bryan I love you so much and I am here for you to help you to remember Zoe.



2 comments:

  1. Every one of your posts make me tear up! I can't imagine what you are going through and I know it will take a while before it gets any easier! I don't have the right words to make everything better other than I will be praying that God give you the comfort and strength that only He can give to help you make it through this hard time. If there is anything David and I can do, please let me know!

    ReplyDelete